[Samba] Homes share doesn't work for AD DCs?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 22 22:28:28 UTC 2016

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 21:54:58 +0000
Chris Rees via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Loving the easy NT4 upgrade process- DNS with my existing BIND works
> great except a hint to make the domain name a subdomain so it doesn't
> collide with existing DNS zone.

I take you have carried out a 'classicupgrade' from an NT4-style PDC to
an AD DC. How is your Bind server set up ? is it using flat files ? If
so I would suggest you take the hint and run bind on the DC using dlz
as a subdomain of your original dns domain.

> However, now when I try to connect to (for example) \\pegasus\crees I
> get "The network name cannot be found". A new share, "homes" has
> appeared, but of course it maps to nothing and I get the same error!

I think the first may be an effect of your bind setup at the moment.
The second, the [homes] share, is because [homes] doesn't work on a DC,
you will need to use something like [home] and add a 'path' line, you
can also remove the 'browseable' line, this is because there is no
browsing with a Samba AD DC.

You are also going to have several other problems, this is because you
seem to be using the deprecated 'ntvfs' database

Rowland