[Samba] Homes share doesn't work for AD DCs?

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 22 21:54:58 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Loving the easy NT4 upgrade process- DNS with my existing BIND works
great except a hint to make the domain name a subdomain so it doesn't
collide with existing DNS zone.

However, now when I try to connect to (for example) \\pegasus\crees I
get "The network name cannot be found". A new share, "homes" has
appeared, but of course it maps to nothing and I get the same error!

Does the homes share lose its magic, or have I missed some obscure group
policy setting?

smb4.conf header:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = BAYOFRUM
realm = ad.bayofrum.net <http://ad.bayofrum.net>
netbios name = PEGASUS
server services = rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd,
ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, smb
dcerpc endpoint servers = epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon,
lsarpc, spoolss, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupke
y, dnsserver, winreg, srvsvc
idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
posix:eadb = /var/db/samba4/private/eadb.tdb

[netlogon]
path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol/ad.bayofrum.net/scripts
<http://ad.bayofrum.net/scripts>
read only = No

[sysvol]
path = /var/db/samba4/sysvol