[Samba] Automatic creation of local users

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 20 10:26:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:10:30 +0100
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > No, a user is either a Unix user or a windows user that is also a
> > Unix user. You cannot have a user in /etc/passwd and in AD.
> Thats not what i meant its OR a linux user OR a windows user.
> But which you create is depending on the need.
> I can create a linux user to manipulate things as windows user on
> windows shares per server. Or i can create a windows
> "buildin\username" which can be use "per server" But with care for
> both since, the id of this user dont have to be the same.
>
> Your ok with this? This is how i use it.
> I'll try to make these thing more clear next time.

The only thing I would change there would be is 'dont', you cannot have
a user with the same in /etc/passwd and AD, i.e. the user 'fred' cannot
exist in /etc/passwd and AD. If you do have the user 'fred'
in /etc/passwd and AD, which ever is found first by nsswitch will be
used and to be honest, if you are using AD, there is absolutely no
reason for user 'fred' to exist in /etc/passwd if he also exists in AD.

Rowland