[Samba] GPO Security Filtering "Access Denied"

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Dec 20 10:20:00 UTC 2016

To fix the rights problem, these are the steps i always follow, since it works for me.

I logged in as DOMAIN\Adminstrator on a windows pc.

Now backup sysvol, copy the "internal.domain.tld" folder in sysvol to your pc.
2) Delete the "internal.domain.tld" folder in sysvol on the DC.
3) login into linux, run samba-tools ntacl sysvolreset
4) Goto the sysvol folder and run : getfacl sysvol > /tmp/sysvol.acl
5) copy the "internal.domain.tld" from the pc back to sysvol
6) restore the sysvol.acl over the complete setup, run :
   setfacl -R -b --modify-file /tmp/sysvol.acl /Path_to/sysvol
7) run samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck. You should be error free now.
8) Almost there, goto the windows GPO editor, klik once on every GPO object, used or not. You mights get a message about incorrect rights, just klik ok to fix and its done.

This works every time for me if i get GPO errors.

Also all the USER GPO settings are applied by the computer accounts.
you need always one of these: "authenticated users" "Domain Computers"
! always !

Best regards,

Louis