[Samba] Dynamic DNS and bind_dlz

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Dec 19 21:21:56 UTC 2016

Hi Mark,

Am 19.12.2016 um 21:25 schrieb Mark Nienberg via samba:
> I'm trying to troubleshoot why our workstations have stopped dynamically
> registering their ip addresses in our AD using bind_dlz setup. It worked
> for a couple of months and now does not. I realized I have a basic question
> about how it is supposed to work.
>
> Do the workstations (after getting a dynamic address from the dhcpd server)
> contact the AD DC directly with the information? Or does dhcpd register the
> address with bind and then bind notifies the DC?
>
> If it is dhcpd -> bind -> DC, then can someone show a sample dhcpd.conf
> file?

The Windows default is that the client tries to register itself in the
AD DNS zone. If you haven't disabled the setting on your Windows domain
members, it should work. To verify, see:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Testing_Dynamic_DNS_Updates

Let me know if you have a different problem that is not described in our
troubleshooting section and that is not solvable by:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#Reconfiguring_the_BIND9_DLZ_Back_End

Apart from that, you can configure dhcpd to register the client in the
AD DNS zone - but this is not part of Samba and thus not part of our
documentation.

Regards,
Marc