[Samba] Fileserver and other questions

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Dec 18 02:26:12 UTC 2016

Am 18.12.2016 um 03:10 schrieb Flávio Silveira via samba:
> Thank you for your quick response! The wiki is kind of big, but it seems
> this is what I look for, right?
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Samba_Standalone_Server
>
> From what I understand so far, I need to create an account on Debian
> (local account on OS) and nn Samba with smbpasswd, correct?

Yes.

> Then I can take care of file and folder permissions with this wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_POSIX_ACLs
>
> Am I following the right path so far?

Yes.

This is one of the pages I wrote in the past. It looks terrible, but the
content is still valid. However, it's on my list of the remaining pages
that will get an update soon.

> Well, I didn't want to create a mess with package manager, maintaining
> Samba package myself was not on my plans, I may ask Debian's package
> maintainer if he/she plans to update it on Jessie anytime soon.

It shouldn't be a big problem. Just make sure that you don't have any
package installed that installes Samba or Samba libraries.

For the simple setup you plan I guess (!) you should not encounter any
major problems. However, if you are coming back with strange problems,
we will tell you to update. ;-)

Since this is just a simple standalone server setup, you can test this
easily in a VM without a lot of extra work.

Regards,
Marc