[Samba] Fileserver and other questions

Flávio Silveira fggs at terra.com.br
Sun Dec 18 02:10:51 UTC 2016

On 17/12/2016 23:48, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Flavio,
>
> it seems you are new to Samba, so I suggest you to have a look at our Wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Documentation
> It describes procedures you are asking for and a lot more.

Thank you for your quick response! The wiki is kind of big, but it seems
this is what I look for, right?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Samba_Standalone_Server

 From what I understand so far, I need to create an account on Debian
(local account on OS) and nn Samba with smbpasswd, correct?

> Am 18.12.2016 um 02:09 schrieb Flávio Silveira via samba:
>> 1- Is it possible to have shares per department? Let's say: a share for
>> Sales users, a share for Administration users and so on, so that files
>> and folders are only visible for each group. If so, how can I accomplish
>> this? Also, is it possible to give read/write permission to just
>> specific files on a read-only folder?
> Sure, you can set set POSIX or Windows ACLs on directories.

Then I can take care of file and folder permissions with this wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Shares_with_POSIX_ACLs

Am I following the right path so far?

>> 2- I'm planning on using Debian Jessie, which comes with Samba 4.2.10
>> and it seems impossible to backport 4.5.2, is it ok?
> You can try 4.2 version. However it's already end of life and thus
> unsupported. If you have any problems, we will tell you to update to a
> recent version first. ;-)
>
> If Debian does not provide a recent version, you can build Samba yourself.

Well, I didn't want to create a mess with package manager, maintaining
Samba package myself was not on my plans, I may ask Debian's package
maintainer if he/she plans to update it on Jessie anytime soon.

>> 3- Any documented issues with Windows 10 Professional with that setup?
> I only know about limitations if you set up a NT4 domain. I never used
> Win10 with a standalone server. However I don't know of any problems in
> an Samba AD if you just plan to create multiple shares and nothing special.

For now I just want to setup a workgroup and department shares with
permissions accordingly. When I move to AD I plan to use GPOs and some
other fancy features :-)

>> On a different matter, I plan to migrate this to AD or at least
>> Domain somewhat soon...
> What is your current Windows Server acting as? Is it an AD DC? Then set
> up Samba, join it as a DC, copy the Sysvol content manually (Sysvol
> replication is currently not implemented), configure your remaining
> stuff, and at the end demote the Windows DC.

My current Windows Server is setup as Workgroup only. I know, right? :-)