[Samba] Replication with Multiple Sites in a Hub and Spoke Topology

Dale Renton drenton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:54:54 UTC 2016

Samba 4.5.1 (started with this version as well)

I started with 3 domain controllers, DC1 and DC2 at the hub, and another,
DC3 as a spoke.  Everything was running smoothly with this config.  No
problems with 'samba-tool drs showrepl'.  As soon as I started adding more
'spoke' domain controllers I'm getting timeouts in the 'samba-tool drs
showrepl' command.  I believe the problem is arising because the spokes
cannot ping/see one another.  After running a tcpdump I do indeed see
spokes trying to communicate.  I have site links created for each spoke.
So in Active Directory Sites and Services there is a site link and subnet
for each spoke and the hub.  I'm also having issues with 'samba-tool domain
join ad.example.com DC' timeouts, but if I keep trying, it eventually
works.  At the moment I have 5 domain controllers with plans on adding more.

samba-tool drs showrepl works fine on both hub domain controllers, DC1 and
DC2

samba-tool dbcheck ( works fine on all DCs )
    Checking 856 objects
    Checked 856 objects (0 errors)

samba-tool drs showrepl on DC3 spoke returns :

    Failed to bind to uuid e3514235-4b06-11d1-ab04-00c04fc2dcd2 for
ncacn_ip_tcp:192.168.2.1[1024,seal,target_hostname=dc3.ad.example.com,abstract_syntax=e3514235-4b06-11d1-ab04-00c04fc2dcd2/0x00000004,localaddress=192.168.2.1]
NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
    ERROR(<class 'samba.drs_utils.drsException'>): DRS connection to
dc3.ad.example.com failed - drsException: DRS connection to
dc3.ad.example.com failed: (-1073741643, '{Device Timeout} The specified
I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired.')
      File
"/usr/local/samba/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/drs.py", line
41, in drsuapi_connect
        (ctx.drsuapi, ctx.drsuapi_handle, ctx.bind_supported_extensions) =
drs_utils.drsuapi_connect(ctx.server, ctx.lp, ctx.creds)
      File
"/usr/local/samba/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line
54, in drsuapi_connect
        raise drsException("DRS connection to %s failed: %s" % (server, e))

smb.conf :

    [global]
            netbios name = DC3
            realm = AD.EXAMPLE.COM
            server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
            workgroup = EXAMPLE
            idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes

    [netlogon]
            path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/ad.example.com/scripts
            read only = No

    [sysvol]
            read only = No

I'm assuming this is an issue with samba_kcc but I'm not sure what steps to
take next.

Thanks,
Dale