[Samba] Fwd: net ads join -> "The connection was refused"

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 16 13:17:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 13:46:24 +0100
Artur Moor via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> If I remove 'nmbd bind explicit broadcast = no' in 'smb4.conf', then
> nmbd wan't start and I get following in the log:
>
> [2016/12/16 12:37:35.075428,  0]
> ../source3/lib/util_sock.c:396(open_socket_in)
>   bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 10.0.140.255.
>   Error = Can't assign requested address
> [2016/12/16 12:37:35.075626,  0]
> ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_subnetdb.c:127(make_subnet)
>   nmbd_subnetdb:make_subnet()
>     Failed to open nmb bcast socket on interface 10.0.140.255 for port
> 137.  Error was Can't assign requested address
> [2016/12/16 12:37:35.075718,  0]
> ../lib/util/become_daemon.c:111(exit_daemon)
>   STATUS=daemon failed to start: NMBD failed when creating subnet
> lists, error code 13
>
> Therefore 'nmbd bind explicit broadcast = no' ist set.

It looks like something is already running on port 137.
There should be no Samba deamons running when you try to join the
domain.

once you have joined the domain, you should then start the nmbd, smbd
and winbindd deamons. They should all start, the only way I can think
of another deamon claiming port 137, is that you are also starting the
'samba' daemon, this should only be started on a Samba AD DC.

> If I run 'net ads join -U Administrator' the smbd and the nmbd
> deamons are running.

Stop all running Samba deamons and then try to join again.

Rowland