[Samba] [samba] AD, 4.5.0, DRS or deletion question

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:25:51 UTC 2016

No answer from anyone from the community so I managed by myself, answering
also questions by myself.

So...
Question 1: How can a DC relies on deleted object to perform replication?
That is a bug from Samba (the new KCC?).
Sorry to say that but what else? Deleted object are objects which are not
in use. They have something to do perhaps with replication but they MUST
NOT be used as valid source (or destination) for replication. So, a bug.

Question 2: as previously said I don't want to have to modify the
tombstoneLifetime because this implies modifying the schema which is not
something to perform regularly.
What if:
- object deletion can't be performed
- removal of this replication path is not possible because the path does
not really exist (not listed into KCC CONNECTION OBJECTS section of drs
showrepl, not existing into "AD sites and services" MSC)
- forcing replication between DC does not solve the issue
?

To solve this issue I stopped Samba service on DC having the issue and then
I copied manually (using a simple "scp") the DIT files from one working DC
to this broken DC.
After restarting the Samba service this DC has no issue.

I know this kind of copy is not advised by Samba team, but else can we do
in such case?

And why is it not advised as it works?
The main argument against this kind of copy was "DB are not exactly the
same".
If we can trust "samba-tool ldapcmp" the only difference between same DIT
(by DIT I mean DOMAINDNSZONES, FORESTDNSZONES files in private/sam.ldb.d/
directory) on different DCs is the "whenChanged" attribute. And this
attribute is not replicated because it does not really matter.
So the difference between databases on different DCs does not really matter
and copy can be performed.

After having shared here what solution what applied I'll go back to work
and start writing that down in our docs.

If you read that all, thank you for your interest : )

mathias