[Samba] wbinfo -u does not listed trusted users, wbinfo -n works, idmap not working

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 19:46:07 UTC 2016

On a samba 4.5.1 domain controllers (PDC and BDC), classic domain   ,
LDAP is used as the backend for both user accounts AND for the idmapping
of trusted domains . Partial smb.conf below

    workgroup = THISDOMAIN
    security = user
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    idmap config * : backend  = tdb
    idmap config * : range =  5000-6000

    idmap config THISDOMAIN : backend  = nss
    idmap config THISDOMAIN : range = 100-300

    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:backend = ldap
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:readonly = no
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:default=no
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_base_dn = ou=xxxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_user_dn = xxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_url = ldap://xxxxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:range = 30000-39999

On the 4.5.1 domain members I have tried TDB backend for trusted domains
idmapping ...

    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN : backend  = tdb
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN : range = 30000-39999

...and I have tried LDAP backend

    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:backend = ldap
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:readonly = no
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:default=no
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_base_dn = ou=xxxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_user_dn = xxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:ldap_url = ldap://xxxxxxxxxxx
    idmap config TRUSTEDDOMAIN:range = 30000-39999

But idmap fails regardless on the domain members.

      # /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo  -n "THISDOMAIN\myname"
    S-1-5-21-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx SID_USER (1)

      # /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo  -i "THISDOMAIN\myname"
    THISDOMAIN\myname:*:123:100:My Name :/home/THISDOMAIN/myname:/bin/false

      # /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo  -n "TRUSTEDUSER\someuser"
    S-1-5-21-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx SID_USER (1)

    # /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo  -i  "TRUSTEDUSER\someuser"
    failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
    Could not get info for user  TRUSTEDUSER\someuser
    #

      # /usr/local/samba/bin/wbinfo  --allocate-uid

    failed to call wbcAllocateUid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
    Could not allocate a uid
      #

I could never get idmapping for trusted domains working on member
servers with samba 3.6.x either.

It seems that wbinfo just doesn't like trusted domains.

I am presuming that I can only use idmap ad  backend  for my "own"
domain (if I were in an AD domain) and not for trusted domains. I also
suspect that idmap ldap backend is only valid on domain controllers.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks