[Samba] How to join join Ubuntu desktop to AD

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 18:11:36 UTC 2016

Comments inline

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:37:10 -0500
> lingpanda101 via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> I was unable to ping my DC when using it's FQDN. The fix was to
>> disable Avahi in my nsswitch.conf file. This was due to using .local
>> for my domain.
>>
>> #hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
>>
>> hosts: files dns
>>
>> Should this be added to the troubleshooting section of the wiki?
> The wiki does tell you not to use .local, perhaps it needs to said more
> forcefully ?

Unfortunately it's a existing domain I provisioned during Samba 4.0
release and used .local. I think the wiki now makes it clear not to
provision new domains with it. Maybe add to the troubleshooting section?

>> I installed libpam-winbind that created this file
>>
>> '/usr/share/pam-configs/winbind'
>>
>> I didn't need to manually create as suggested. However doing so
>> created the following file
>>
>> '/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_winbind.so'
>>
>> I had to rename and create the link you suggested.
>>
>> ln
>> -s /usr/local/samba/lib/security/pam_winbind.so /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/security/pam_winbind.so
>>
> The contents of libpam-winbind boils down to two files, the file I
> posted and the .so file. The only problem with the way you did it, if
> 'libpam-winbind' gets updated, your .so link will get replaced and
> this will probably lead to problems. I would suggest you remove the
> package.
I didn't think about the update replacing the link. I will remove the
package and manually create the file. Hopefully it doesn't break anything.

>> Hopeful this helps others who attempt to join to Ubuntu. Now I will
>> attempt to login from the GUI.
> This should work, well it works for me ;-)
>
> Rowland

I couldn't initially login from the GUI. I had to run 'pam-auth-update'
again and enable  'Create home directory on login'. Now everything works
as expected.

--
- James