[Samba] Samba on Debian 8; NT4 domain, win10

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Dec 14 09:50:22 UTC 2016

Am 2016-12-12 um 15:37 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:

> I just moved all the configs etc over to another VM, and started over,
> looks better now. No clue ... thanks anyway :-)

I am sure that all of you wait thrilled for the next news from my
migration(s) ;-)

Yesterday we did tests with 2 Win7-Test-VMs and the migrated
Debian-ADS-PDC. Looks good to me.

We were able to login with old and new users, access shares on the pdc,
join a new client, and even deploy the first GPOs to the clients. RSAT
access works so far ... feels good to me.

As you may assume new questions arised:

* kinit: Do I have to run that after every reboot of the PDC? I don't
plan to do that all the time but we have to *know* what to do in case.
In my tests I had the impression that this wasn't kept up by itself.

* we had to change the IP of the Test-PDC after classicupgrade, I then
noticed some loglines around samba_dnsupdate trying to contact the DNS
under the old IP. How can I fix that? yesterday I reran classicupgrade
as we hadn't done any new work yet, but that is no solution for
production ;-)

* I have to move over the test-config to another VM then for production,
this also means changing the IP and maybe the linux-hostname. Is that a
problem, should that be avoided?

* What is the recommended way to pull backups of the PDC? Just tar up
/var/lib/samba ? Run some export script or so?

* and what is the recommended way of actually swapping PDC from NT4 to ADS?

turn down all clients, and NT4-PDC, then turn up ADS-PDC, and client
after client?

Thanks a lot, I am looking forward to actually rolling this out in
january ...