[Samba] How to join join Ubuntu desktop to AD

Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth mike at datacontrolsystems.com
Fri Dec 9 16:55:46 UTC 2016

I believe it did, but I had issues with offline logins, so I stopped using
winbind and switched to sssd.  I can confirm that it does work now with
sssd.

getent passwd mae
mae:*:3000:2001:Michael A. Elkevizth:/home/DCS/mae:/bin/bash

getent passwd row (disabled user)
row:*:3001:2001:Robert O. Webster:/home/DCS/row:/bin/false

Regards,

Mike E.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM lingpanda101 via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

On 12/9/2016 11:00 AM, Data Control Systems - Mike Elkevizth via samba
wrote:
> Just to confirm that it can be done, I followed the wiki and joined my
> Ubuntu 16.04 desktop to a Samba AD using the Ubuntu distro provided
> packages.  I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the Samba AD DCs are also
> running Ubuntu 16.04 with the distro provided packages.
>
> Mike E.
>

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> But did you give Domain Users a gid? If you don’t do that, winbind
>>> and getent will not find any UNIX users (doesn’t matter if the users
>>> have a uid and gid within the range you’ve specified in smb.conf).
>>> It’s been a while since I had this problem - my memory is it’s not
>>> clearly mentioned in the wiki at all.
>>>
>> It is mentioned on the wiki, to be precise here:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad#Prerequisites
>>
>> Do you think it needs more emphasis ?
>>
>> Rowland
>>

>> --

Does getent return data for a domain user?

--
- James