[Samba] Reverse zones fail with secure updates

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Dec 7 15:57:21 UTC 2016

Hai James,

> On a side not even if I manually create a A RR and select "create
> associated pointer (PTR) record" in the Micorsoft DNS snap in. A PTR
> record does not get created.
Thats correct, you need to do that manualy if you use windows tools.

> I can see in a
> wireshark capture the XP client request a PTR update. A Windows 7 client
> does not. Not even clients with static IP's. I'll chalk this up to
> strictly a windows issue.

Hmm still looks to settings in windows.
And your sure you have this one enable on the computers.
"Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" is selected in adapter properties.

I dont register any pc, just join them, reboot 2 x and everything is in the dns.

Im running out of options.  :-(

Login, as user and run type : rsop.msc
Check if you een any ! which are errors.

Greetz,

Louis