[Samba] Reverse zones fail with secure updates

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:33:27 UTC 2016

On 11/28/2016 10:40 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Hai James,
>
> So a windows xp works but Win7/10 not, at least is good hint.
>
> So, i did have a look in my setup again.
> And i'm thinking, i have disabled ipv6 for my windows 7 and win 10 pc's.
> That may be an option..
>
> A thing you can try, have a look here :
> http://www.bvanleeuwen.nl/faq/?p=1142
> ipv6 Admx to simple disable ipv6.
>
> I've set : Disable all IPv6 components.
>
> I also checked my dhcp options.
> Im sending these options
> 003 route
> 004 time
> 006 dns servers
> 015 DNS Domain Name 	( your_primary.domain.tld )
> 042 NTP
> 046 WINS Node type : (0x8)
>
> And last thing what can be different.
> I have made my own CA root and client certs, im not using the generated certs from samba.
> And the CA root is also published to all my win7/10 computers.
>
> I suggest give it a try, and report back.
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

I've tried every solution posted and then some and no matter what my
Windows 7 clients will not request a PTR update. I can see in a
wireshark capture the XP client request a PTR update. A Windows 7 client
does not. Not even clients with static IP's. I'll chalk this up to
strictly a windows issue.

On a side not even if I manually create a A RR and select "create
associated pointer (PTR) record" in the Micorsoft DNS snap in. A PTR
record does not get created.

--
- James