[Samba] Join QNAP to a Samba AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 6 10:50:27 UTC 2016

On Tue, 06 Dec 2016 10:05:05 +0000
"contact at makz.me" <contact at makz.me> wrote:

> I've upgraded in the classic way described in the wiki
>

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_domain_to_a_Samba_AD_do
> main_(classic_upgrade)
>

> I don't have any unix users between 99 and 65534 so i think can set
> the range to start from 500.
>

> However, this still won't work :(

What happens if something goes wrong and you cannot login as a domain
user ? You really should have at least one local Unix user.

If your AD users have a uidNumber attribute containing a unique
number inside the DOMAIN range you have set in the domain member
smb.conf AND 'Domain Users' has a gidNumber attribute containing a
number inside the same range AND libnss_winbind & /etc/nsswitch is
setup correctly, it should work, try reading this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member

Rowland