[Samba] client max protocol = SMB3 ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 5 23:51:06 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-12-05 at 13:15 -0600, Chad William Seys via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>    The man page for smb.conf says that 'client max protocol =
> default'
> is the same as 'client max protocol = NT1' for the HEAD samba
> version.
>
>    Is there some reason I should not change that to SMB3?

Because Unix extensions were not specified for SMB2/3, and we don't
know at protocol negotiation time if the client (user) wants to use
unix extensions, we are a bit stuck.

In particularly, we didn't want to break existing scripts by
unilaterally turning off unix extensions.  It is hoped to implement
unix extensions in the SMB2 and SMB3 protocols and then in Samba
servers.  However, you can imagine that even then we have a chicken and
egg situation.  :-(

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett