[Samba] Samba4 AD not very stable

Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch pkoch at bgc-jena.mpg.de
Mon Dec 5 09:35:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

we switched from SAMBA3+Openldap to SAMBA4 four weeks ago.

Most servers are working. However we noticed some strange behavior:

Under some circumstances the authentication does not work anymore, but all

daemons etc. are up and running. Also locally on the DC everything seems
to be fine.

But NO service will authenticated successfully against the domain.

Stopping the server for 1-2min and restarting the service solves the
problem in

most cases. Sometimes a reboot is the final "solution".

We see nothing helpful in the logfile. Only one time we saw from the
winbindd

a messages ("could not open file"), so we increased the open file limits
(debian default 1024 4096).

So how can we check the function of server, when the problem appears
again, to

get a glue what is not working correctly ... ?

What is the different, between stopping a service and restarting it, or
restarting the whole server ?

Which loglevel might be helpful and which kind of messages are important ?

       samba-tool drs showrepl
  or
       /etc/init.d/sernet-samba-smbd status

are always ok.

We are using DEBIAN JESSIE  on  2 hosts. One physical, one a VM.
Both are running the SERNET packages 4.4.7 for Debian.

Any help and/or comment is warmly welcome!

--
Bye,
     Peer

Max-Planck-Institut für Biogeochemie
Dr. Peer-Joachim Koch
Hans-Knöll Str.10            Telefon: ++49 3641 57-6705
D-07745 Jena                 Telefax: ++49 3641 57-7705