[Samba] ntvfs file server and selftest background

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 5 08:30:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-12-05 at 08:12 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 21:07:48 +1300
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>

> > It is a lot of work to change the situation, even more so without
> > loss
> > of important tests.  A number of tests, particularly for spoolss
> > but
> > also of the cifs proxy (which in turn tests kerberos delegation),
> > use
> > the ntvfs file server.
>
> OK, but how can you be sure that something you are testing against
> ntvfs actually works with s3fs ?

The spoolss tests are testing the (very odd) rpc call-back
functionality that requires the spoolss server to make a reverse call
to the client to deliver the notifications.  The ntvfs file server
helps provide one of the layers involved, to allow the smbtorture
process to listen as an smb server and then provide a specail RPC
interface.

As we don't otherwise implement the client side of this protocol, the
means used to implement it are not important, we are testing the server
against a instrumented mock implementation.

This isn't the only reason that part of the codebase is used, but I
hope I can clarify at least this one for you.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett