[Samba] ntvfs file server and selftest background

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 5 08:07:48 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-12-04 at 19:05 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2016 07:50:23 +1300
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 2016-12-04 at 11:43 +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> > This is correct.  There isn't a way to forward on the password
> > changes, nor clearly know which DC the file server was using, so no
> > password change prompt can be offered.

> > > Yes, I noticed, but everything the OP posted seemed to be just
> > > wrong. He appears to be running Samba as an AD DC, but isn't
> > > joining
> > > anything
> > > to it, he has built the 'ntvfs' filesystem but isn't using it.
> >
> > That's just because he built with --enable-selftest.  That turns on
> > the ntvfs file server as the selftest relies on it.
> >

> Again I knew this, but why does selftest rely on something that isn't
> used anymore, just what does get tested ? and how does using ntvfs
> help ?

It is a lot of work to change the situation, even more so without loss
of important tests.  A number of tests, particularly for spoolss but
also of the cifs proxy (which in turn tests kerberos delegation), use
the ntvfs file server.

The next step is to have it build with ntvfs only during the main make,
but re-link without it for the install.  That is still non-trivial
however.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett