[Samba] Change Password from Windows Native Interface

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 3 17:53:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 14:55:44 +0900
Scott Mattan via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to get a Samba 4.5.1 environment set up for
> testing and I am unable to get samba to request a new password from a
> windows user.  The error that I get, is in Japanese, so I don't have
> the exact translation, however it is along the lines of...
>
> Your user password must be changed before logging in for the first
> time.
>
> However it does not give me the prompt to do so as shown in the below
> image.
>
> https://s14.postimg.org/vd14ideqp/Samba_Login.png
>
> My current build options for samba are:
>
> http://pastebin.com/tEb1Pk5H
>
> I am currently using SambaDC (although my computer is not connected
> to the samba domain).  My Samba configuration is below.
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         netbios name = IP-12-0-1-194
>         realm = SAMBATEST.NET
>         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>         workgroup = SAMBATEST
>         server role = active directory domain controller
>         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
>
> # Shares
> [netlogon]
>         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/sambatest.net/scripts
>         read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
>         read only = No
>
> [testshare]
>         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/testshare
>         read only = No
>         read list = Administrator
>
> If anyone has the user password change via native windows RPC? calls
> working please help me understand where I am going wrong.
>
> If you need any additional information please let me know.

How did you build Samba ?

The build options you linked to, appear to be from 'smbd -b'
Yet the smb.conf is from an AD DC, you also say you are trying to
change a password from a machine that is not joined to the domain.
You also seem to have built the deprecated 'ntvfs' filesystem.

More info required please.

Rowland