[Samba] Choosing a samba version for DC use

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 12:23:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:12:43 +0000
Brian Candler <b.candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2016 09:48, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > It all depends on what you mean by 'compelling';-)
>
> I was thinking of any important new functionality that I wouldn't
> want to be without.  As one example: I read that Samba isn't (or
> wasn't) able to replicate SYSVOL automatically: having that
> implemented would save me having to rsync SYSVOL around.
>
> Looking at the history page for 4.4.0, it says:
>
> "Active Directory
> ----------------
>
> There were some improvements in the Active Directory area."
>
> ... without saying how critical those improvements are.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

You can read the release notes here:

https://www.samba.org/samba/history/

Major fixes go into 4.x.0, minor & bugfixes into 4.x.x

Basic thing to remember, the higher the version number, more functions
added and bugs fixed.

Unfortunately, sysvol is still not synced automatically, you will need
to do something with 'osync' or 'rsync', the info is on the Samba wiki.

Rowland