[Samba] Samba and kerberized NFSv4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 12:16:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:44:04 +0100
marcel at linux-ng.de wrote:

> Am 2016-12-02 12:12, schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> >> I already thought about trying that. So by now, I tried tweaking
> >> the client's LDAP entry.
> >>
> >> Adding
> >>
> >>   userPrincipalName=CLIENT02.DOMAIN.TLD
> >>
> >> does not succeeed, however, after reviewing the ldap filter once
> >> again, I added
> >>
> >>   userPrincipalName=nfs/client02.domain.tld at DOMAIN.TLD
> >>
> >> to the workstation's account  and finally, the mount does not
> >> return an error anymore. Though I can't access anything on the
> >> mounted share but I guess that's OK for now, because the users'
> >> home directories hosted there must not be accessible to the root
> >> user at all.
> >>
> >> However I don't expect that to be the right approach, not only
> >> because it requires a userPricipalName for a service but mainly
> >> because I even have to add the kerberos REALM ... or am I mistaken
> >> there? (please bear with me if that sounds stupid, I'm still
> >> somehow new to dealing with kerberos)
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Mathias
> >>

> > I don't normally use NFS, but I did try it out some time ago and I
> > didn't do it the way everybody else seems to be trying.
> > I created a user just for nfs and gave that a SPN 'nfs/FQDN', where
> > 'FQDN' is the fully qualified name of the computer that is running
> > the NFS server.
> >
> > This works for me, I just tried it again, mounting nfs shares from
> > a DC on a domain member.
> >
> > Rowland
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
> I just wanted to make sure: Your DCs are Samba based?
>
> After mounting the nfs share, were you able to access files?
>
> Bye,
>    Marcel

Yes, I only have Unix machines.

Yes, if I create a file in the mounted NFS share

rowland at devstation:~$ touch /home/SAMDOM/rowland/nfstest.txt

And then go to the share on the NFS server:

root at member1:~# ls -la /home/rowland/
-rw-r--r--   1 SAMDOM\rowland SAMDOM\domain users    0 Dec  2 11:08
nfstest.txt

I can open, read, write etc anything in my share

 Rowland