[Samba] Is it fine to store the tdb files in the shared directory to solve the ctdb data synchronization problem?

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Fri Dec 2 10:54:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 10:45:53AM +0000, Chenyehua via samba wrote:
>    I face a problem about the data synchronization when using the
>    ctdb. When one ctdb node fails, other ctdb nodes may not recover
>    the data of the failed node. I think it may be due to the fact
>    that ctdb stores its tdb files in the local storage. So, is it
>    fine to store the tdb files in the shared directory of the
>    backend storage? When one node fails, other nodes may recover the
>    data from the shared directory. Could this solve the ctdb data
>    synchronization problem? Are there any problems with this
>    solution?

The architecture of ctdb is such that it is supposed to lose the data
that is stored on the local node in the tdb. For example information
on open files is worthless if the node crashes, the files are closed
by definition.

ctdb was explicitly designed to not store the tdb data on shared
storage. Shared storage is not made for this workload: Heavy locking,
tons of small writes all around in the file, high consistency
requirements. This is nothing you want remote.

What data do you need to synchronize?

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke