[Samba] member server resolv.conf question

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Thu Dec 1 17:31:00 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-01 11:03, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:41:56 -0600
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-12-01 10:00, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 09:20:15 -0600
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> From: Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
> To: SAMBA MailList <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] member server resolv.conf question
> Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 09:20:15 -0600
> Sender: "samba" <samba-bounces at lists.samba.org>
>
> Yesterday I was "tailing" a log file (nmbd, I think) and noticed
> complaints by my member server that there was another "domain
> master" at the ipaddress on my DC1.
>
> This morning Windows clients are being denied updates to
> "116.168.192.in-addr-arps/IN" (which I believe is the reverse
> zone.)
> I think there was the word 'browser' after 'domain master' in the
> log you were 'tailing' and this has nothing to do with your update
> problem. The 'domain master browser' is the netbios master.
>
> What is in your other Samba logs and system log on the DC ?
>
> Rowland

I checked the "log.samba" of the first DC and it has entries "Failed
to connect host 192.168.116.50 on port 135 -
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED" This is the address of my other DC.
Port 135 is the End Point Mapper, you need to investigate this, try
restart Samba on both DCs first.

> My other DC "log.samba" shows "samba: setproctitle not initialized,
> please either call setproctitle_init() or link against libbsd-ctor."
> I have never seen that before!!!

Stop worrying about that, it is very common and meaningless.

> The /var/log/syslog discusses updates for one of the W10 clients but
> doesn't look abnormal.
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> (This reply is about when my email client buggers up, sorry if it
> does.)

Rowland

Thanks Rowland. At this point I restarted both DC and problem persists
on second (other) DC.

But, the member server appeared on one of the W10 clients. I logged out
and logged in and client connected and shares are present.

Logged into other W7 client and member appeared and shares are present.

As I can now work, I must.

Will stop, think and restart a proper thread tonight while most others
are asleep. More on this tomorrow. Gotta work!!

(And again, with this reply, my email client might bugger up, sorry if
it does.)