[Samba] Settings ACL question

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:08:56 UTC 2016

Read wasn't the question. Question was about removing children but not the
parent.

parent-folder -> not removable
|_ Children1 ->
|_ Children2 -> both removable

I don't know how Samba deal with that, but that's not the point for now.
For now you have to understand NTFS permissions a little bit (I have not
the knowledge to write something like a lesson about NTFS permissions).

So all the following must be done on Windows, on loacl file system, a NTFS
file system, not through Samba for now.

- Create a folder anywhere, called "parent".
- Right click -> properties -> security tab -> advanced
- In advanced pop-up you get a button "change permissions", click on it
- Here you should get an error message because there no ACL on this object,
they are inherited from parent. To change them you have to suppress
inheritance and copy ACL on the object and children (for children you can
chose to make them inherit from parent)
- If there still is a button "change permissions", click on it
- now you are facing a pop-up titled "Advanced Security Settings for
<object name>
- chose one ACE, click on Edit button
- you get a new pop-up called "Permissions Entry for <object name>". This
pop-up contains a first box titled "Name:", a dropdown menu titled "Apply
to: " and a big box with Permissions, Allow, Deny.
- in the dropdown menu you can chose between different options:
"This folder only"
"This folder, subfolders and files"
"This folder and subfolders"
"This folder and files"
"Subfolders and files only"
"Subfolders only"
"Files only"

So you can apply different ACEs starting from same object which will apply
on the object, the object and its content, content only, as describe
previously.

"This folder only" -> chose something to not allow removal
"Subfolders and files only" -> chose full control

Now you can test, you should be able to remove the folder on which you set
up the refusal of removal.

Hoping it's more clear.

Now you can do that on NTFS, try the same through Samba.