[Samba] We need to change our AD domain

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Aug 30 08:23:21 UTC 2016

Hi John,

> I understand that Samba doesn't support domain renaming, which is why
> I'm looking for a way to export the data from one domain and import it
> into a new one. Passwords and machine accounts are not a problem and can
> be ignored for this exercise. The key things I need to copy across are
> user accounts and groups, as they would be an absolute pain in the rear
> end to redo from scratch.

Samba may miss a few pieces, but its FOSS nature and the python
scripting libraries make it a wonderful tools for all AD automation. I'd
say that it more versatil than MSAD once you accept to look into the
guts of the beast.

For our daily work, we have a bunch of in-house scripts for domain
management, among others domain rename. For rename, one way of going is
to create a new domain with the same domain SID, then recreate all the
user/group/machines entries, pipe in the old object SID (so that user
profiles are kept during migration), then pipe in the nt hash password
with pdbedit --set-nt-hash.

We have done dozens of migration/merge this year using this method among
others, going from samba3 PDC, samba4 AD, and MSAD from 2003 up to
2012R2. It even works with a 2012R2 forest level using clone-dc-database
option to get all the data you need, then pipe all the data in the new
s4 domain!

So yes, it can be done, you just have to roll up the sleeves, fire up
your favorite editor and get your python straight :-)

Cheers,

Denis

> Machine accounts will be dealt with by the required unjoin/rejoin
> process. If a forced password change is the only thing users complain
> about I'll consider the migration a great success.
>
> Getting from a Samba 3 NT domain to a Samba 4 AD domain was relatively
> simple and painless. Surely there's a way to go from one Samba 4 AD
> domain to another. Sure it would be nice to have a domain rename
> supported natively but of all the things that still need to be done in
> Samba 4's implementation of AD I don't believe it should be a high
> priority.
>
> Domain renames are a fact of life in many organisations, so I figure
> somebody on this list has probably done it already and I would be
> grateful if they could share the details of how they went about it. I'm
> not looking for a magic wand, merely some guidance.
>
> regards,
> John
>

> On 29/08/16 19:48, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
>> On Wed, 2016-08-24 at 13:40 +1000, John Gardeniers via samba wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> As a result of a company restructure and name change we need to
>>> change
>>> our AD domain. I know that we can't change the AD domain name in
>>> Samba
>>> 4, so I'm looking at the smoothest way to migrate everything from

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems