[Samba] Point-and-Print driver installation asks for confirmation on current Windows

Mario Lipinski mario.lipinski at iserv.eu
Fri Aug 26 16:33:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

when deploying drivers via Point-and-Print recent Windows (tested with
Windows 10 1607) asks the user to confirm the driver installation. An
appropriate Policy [1] is set up so that no user interaction should be
required for the driver installation.
There are similar reports [2,3] that identify updates KB3163912,
KB3172985 and KB3170455 causing these issues. However, Windows 10 1607
seems to ship with these changes.

Reports suggest, that a "packaged" driver should be used to allow driver
deployment with Point-and-Print. It is not possible to install a
"packaged" driver to a Samba server. Although a registry key can be
manipulated to show the driver as "packaged", this does not seem to work.

I successfully tested automatic Point-and-Print driver deployment with
setting up a Windows 10 1607 print server and using a HP Universal Print
Driver PS 6.2.1 for testing. Since this works, this leads me to belive
that Samba is at fault.

Another point I observed during testing: Windows 10 1607 supports
(shared) driver isolation for this driver while Samba does not seem to
allow for this.

I hope that Samba will be fixed/improved to allow automatic driver
deployment with Windows 10 1607.
Please advice, if you know any way to get print driver deployment
working with currrent Windows.

To move things forward I plan to table this issue to samba-technical as
I believe this needs fixing in Samba and open a bug report at
Samba-Bugzilla.

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Defining_printer_driver_sources_trusts
[2] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2016-August/202078.html
[3]
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/030ee94a-047d-460a-bc39-52351a199364/kb3163912-breaks-point-and-print-restrictions-gpo-settings?forum=winserverGP

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Mario Lipinski

IServ GmbH
Bültenweg 73
38106 Braunschweig

Telefon:   0531-2243666-0
Fax:       0531-2243666-9
E-Mail:    info at iserv.eu
Internet:  iserv.eu

USt-IdNr. DE265149425 | Amtsgericht Braunschweig | HRB 201822
Geschäftsführer: Benjamin Heindl, Jörg Ludwig