[Samba] Configuration of smb.conf for Active Directory authentication

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Aug 26 21:16:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 19:42:46 +0000
Kyle Manel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> With the modifications you specified I have this smb.conf, however it
> cannot be accessed?; "
> [global]
>         netbios name =
> FILESERVER-001 security
> =						ADS workgroup
> =					CORP realm
> =						CORP.INBAYTECH.COM
>
>         log file
> =						/var/log/samba/%m.log
> log level =						1
>
>         idmap config	*:      backend =
> tdb idmap config	*:      range =
> 2000-9999
>
>         idmap config	CORP:	backend =		rid
>         idmap config	CORP:	schema_mode =	rfc2307
>         idmap config	CORP:	range
> =			1000-9999999999
>
>         template shell
> =					/sbin/bash template homedir
> =				/home/%U
>
> [public]
>         path
> =						/srv/samba/share
> public =						yes guest ok
> =						yes writable
> =						yes "
> As for your question:
> "Why have you also added the deprecated 'idmap uid' & 'idmap gid'
> lines, they are not on the domain member wiki page." -NOTE: line 108
> of
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member
> This stipulates; '# Just adding the following three lines is not
> enough!!' -I apologize; Without further instruction I chose to access
> the wiki and documentation:

It actually says:

       # idmap config used for your domain.
       # Click on the following links for more information
       # on the available winbind idmap backends,
       # Choose the one that fits your requirements
       # then add the corresponding configuration.

       # Just adding the following three lines is not enough!!
       #  - idmap config ad
       #  - idmap config rid
       #  - idmap_config_autorid

I thought this was descriptive enough 'Click on the following links for
more information', obviously not.
Clicking on 'idmap config rid' takes you to:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid

Which explains about idmap config rid and it also says this:

       # Important: The ranges of the default (*) idmap config
       # and the domain(s) must not overlap!

Yours overlap.

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid and
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html#id2606596
> -The latter specifies IDMAP_RID with WinBind and specifies the idmap
> uid and gid as global parameters alongside this construct; You have
> now identified them as deprecated. -If there was some expectation of
> using RID exclusively, I did not read it as such, my apologies. {Now:
> -removed (as above)-}

I do wish somebody would remove the old docs, I do not think they will
ever be updated.

Rowland