[Samba] Configuration of smb.conf for Active Directory authentication

Kyle Manel Kyle.Manel at inbaytech.com
Fri Aug 26 19:42:46 UTC 2016

Thanks for the feedback.

With the modifications you specified I have this smb.conf, however it cannot be accessed?;
"
[global]
        netbios name =					FILESERVER-001
        security =						ADS
        workgroup =					CORP
        realm =						CORP.INBAYTECH.COM

        log file =						/var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level =						1

        idmap config	*:      backend =			tdb
        idmap config	*:      range =			2000-9999

        idmap config	CORP:	backend =		rid
        idmap config	CORP:	schema_mode =	rfc2307
        idmap config	CORP:	range =			1000-9999999999

        template shell =					/sbin/bash
        template homedir =				/home/%U

[public]
        path =						/srv/samba/share
        public =						yes
        guest ok =						yes
        writable =						yes
"
As for your question:
"Why have you also added the deprecated 'idmap uid' & 'idmap gid' lines, they are not on the domain member wiki page."
	-NOTE: line 108 of https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member
	This stipulates;
		'# Just adding the following three lines is not enough!!'
	-I apologize; Without further instruction I chose to access the wiki and documentation:
		https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid and https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html#id2606596
	-The latter specifies IDMAP_RID with WinBind and specifies the idmap uid and gid as global parameters alongside this construct; You have now identified them as deprecated.
	-If there was some expectation of using RID exclusively, I did not read it as such, my apologies.
	{Now: -removed (as above)-}