[Samba] Configuring Samba as a file server to use AD authentication

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 25 18:21:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:03:57 +0000
Kyle Manel via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Fair point on Ubuntu.  Though, there is no value added by mentioning
> that as I am already seeking help here. :-) What I was searching for
> was 'how to start winbindd' which doesn't provide any valuable
> excerpts beyond that.
>
> Upon rebooting the machine winbindd is not operating all the same
> however, so I am puzzled why this is an issue for me.

OK, quick google turns this up:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/1564043

The first thing I would try, run the winbind binary directly typing
'winbindd' in a terminal, if this works and you should be able to check
this with 'ps aux | grep winbind'

If it does start, you then have to make systemd start it!

Rowland