[Samba] Configuration of smb.conf for Active Directory authentication

Kyle Manel Kyle.Manel at inbaytech.com
Wed Aug 24 20:04:24 UTC 2016

I've been working through a guide documenting how to do this at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member and am presently deciphering what needs I have in my winbind configuration.
In doing so, I've come across the 'passdb backend = ldapsam' option and am curious if I can use this, and if it is wise, identifying that key exchange is complex and a vulnerability at times, but it does provide no local storage of pw either, which may be a greater vulnerability.

Any insight into this, or if this passdb option even works as I believe it to would be valuable to me,
Kyle