[Samba] Applying patches on bug fixes

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Aug 22 13:55:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am 22.08.2016 um 15:23 schrieb lingpanda101--- via samba:
> I have additional questions on patches if you don't mind. Once a
> patch has been applied, is it necessary to reapply a patch when updating
> Samba?

This depents. If the patch is part of the next release, you download the
tarball from the next release and that's it. Was the patch for some
reason not included in the new release, you have to apply it to the
sources of the new version again. However it can happen that it won't
apply cleanly any more if the source code changed to much in the meantime.

> How does one confirm on know when a patch has been officially
> applied to a tar release, if not noted in the release notes? Thanks again.

You can check the locations in the source code, the patch changes. If
you look at the patch file, it tells you the name of the file(s) it
changes and which lines are removed (-) or added (+).

Are you asking because of a patch you're missing in a release?

Regards,
Marc