[Samba] User accounts being blocked

James Crouch jcrouch at decisionanalyst.com
Fri Aug 19 18:04:56 UTC 2016

Ricardo,
I am very sure this is a bug that has a fix in the 4.5rc version of Samba.
I am not having any luck finding the bug page for this though though.

You can increase the log levels to 4 (I think) or greater to see what is
happening. I set my log level to 10 when I investigated this, but that
generates a huge amount of info to shift through.

>From what I understand, after attempting to authenticate on a Windows
workstation the workstation sends a authentication request to the Samba
server. Windows then expects a certain reply from the Samba server. If
Windows does not see the reply it wants, then the workstation sends the
request again. If there was a bad password entered during authentication
request, then Samba would see multiple bad password attempts coming from
the workstation and would lock the account out after it reaches the lockout
threshold.

I wanted a lockout threshold of 3 on my systems, so I ended up setting this
to 6 since it seems to increase the bad password count by 2 on average for
each bad password attempt on my systems. I have seen it increase the bad
password count by up to 4 for a single bad password attempt though.
Thanks,
-James Crouch