[Samba] Missing new NS record.

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:46:02 UTC 2016

As I already wrote here, the fact NS is not automatically filled is not an
issue as long as you don't plan to make your AD a public thing.

AD is not meant to be public, not really, or at least: not often.

Let's say you want to make your DNS zones public anyway (not the whole AD).
Will you make all your DC a public name server or will you before think
about what you are about to do and perhaps limit the risks using two DC to
do that job?

I would say you want to make your AD DNS zone public you will chose
yourself some of your DC to do that job. So if all DC are automagically
declared as NS it is for the whole AD, including the two public AD DNS.

So here we have 12 DC, 2 of them are public DNS. All 12 DC are declared as
NS. Our public AD domain name is "strange.it"

My client wants to connect on some "strange.it" server, first it send to
its resolver some DNS request about
"strange.it", the resolver does not know the answer, it launches recursion
process.
The recursion process is to ask others DNS for NS of "strange.it". Here my
client receive 12 IP addresses as ALL DC are declared as NS. But 2 of these
12 DC are available as NS from Internet, my client has 1 chance on 6 to
continue the process to connect without reaching timeout...

Perhaps this dumb scenario is just a dumb view of my crazy mind on Friday
afternoon.
Perhaps that's why Microsoft (and Samba) decided to not add NS
automatically.

My 2 cents.