[Samba] Can Logon & Join NT4-style Domain, Can't Change Password

Wietse Driever wdriever at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 09:20:51 UTC 2016

Hallo All,

After updating Windows 10 to the latest versions i can confirm Windows 10
is also unable to change passwords.

I found this information:
----
Known issues in this security update

This security update disables the ability of the Negotiate process to fall
back to NTLM when Kerberos authentication fails for password change
operations.

Currently, the ability to change the passwords of disabled or locked-out
accounts is supported only by NTLM. It is not supported by the Kerberos
protocol.
This security update prevents the Negotiate process from falling back to
NTLM for password change operations when Kerberos authentication fails.
therefore, you will no longer be able to change the password for disabled
or locked-out accounts after you install this security update.
It is not secure to change disabled or locked-out user account passwords by
using NTLM. This is why the ability of Negotiate to fall back to NTLM is
disabled by this security update.

Note Even though you can no longer change the password for disabled or
locked accounts, you can set the password by using Active Directory-based
tools.
----

I hope someone can help me fix this without having to block updates.
Because in Windows 10 it is part of a large cumulative update.

Greetings,

Wietse