[Samba] Storing Quotas in Active Directory

Mueller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Fri Aug 19 05:43:14 UTC 2016

Hm,
samba 3 came with is:

default_quota

This module allows the default quota values, in the windows explorer GUI, to be stored on a Samba-3 server. The challenge is that linux filesystems only store quotas for users and groups, but no default quotas.

Samba returns NO_LIMIT as the default quotas by default and refuses to update them. With this module you can store the default quotas that are reported to a windows client, in the quota record of a user. By default the root user is taken because quota limits for root are typically not enforced.

This module takes 2 parametric entries in the smb.conf file. The default prefix for each is the “default_quota”. This can be overwrittem when you load the module in the vfs modules parameter like this:
vfs objects = default_quota:myprefix

The parametric entries that may be specified for the default_quotas module are:

myprefix:uid
This parameter takes a integer argument that specifies the uid of the quota record that will be used for storing the default user quotas.

The default value is 0 (for root user). An example of use is:
vfs objects = default_quota
default_quota:	uid = 65534

The above demonstrates the case where the myprefix was omitted, thus the default prefix is the name of the module. When a myprefix parameter is specified the above can be re-written like this:
vfs objects = default_quota:myprefix
myprefix:	uid = 65534

do not know i it exists anymore

EDV Daniel Müller