[Samba] Missing new NS record.

Garming Sam garming at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Aug 19 00:38:12 UTC 2016

> I couldn't find anything that explicitly says that each DC should have
> its own SOA in AD. What I could find was that each AD-integrated zone on
> a DC is expected to have a SOA record containing the DCs ipaddress.
> this indicates that the DC hosts a writable copy of the zone. The SOA
> should also contain an NS record for the DC. Whilst I do not know how
> windows does this, the only way I have found to do all this, is to
> add the DCs A & NS records to the SOA record, only problem is, it
> only seems (for me) to work with Bind9 as the DNS server.

I think Windows just clobbers the SOA on the way out. I don't think I've
seen any documentation describe the behaviour in detail either.

As for the missing record, Samba 4.5 should fix the immediate problem of
the actual missing NS record, but currently only using BIND9 DLZ
actually ensures it is used as a useful nameserver.

Cheers,

Garming