[Samba] samba ADDC dns setup? ( this is same for any MS server )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Aug 17 14:58:51 UTC 2016

Hai Rowland/Mathias.

> Not sure I agree with you Louis, The first of the last links you posted
> seems to be discussing a windows dns server and contains a comment that
> makes posting the second link a waste of time.
>
> Also if I run on a DC: netstat -tulpn | grep ':53'
>
> I get:
>
> tcp        0      0 192.168.0.5:53          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> 28589/named
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> 28589/named
> udp        0      0 192.168.0.5:53          0.0.0.0:*
> 28589/named
> udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*
> 28589/named
>
> Which plainly shows that it is listening on both 192.168.0.5:53 and
> 127.0.0.1:53
>
> Which to me means:
>
> On a single Samba AD DC:
>
> search <your dns domain>
> DC_IP OR 127.0.0.1
>
> With 2 DCs:
>
> First DC:
>
> search <your dns domain>
> IP_OF_OTHER_DC
> DC_IP OR 127.0.0.1
>
> Second DC:
>
> search <your dns domain>
> IP_OF_OTHER_DC
> DC_IP OR 127.0.0.1
>
> Rowland

Nothing wrong with that totaly agree, with both you guys.

And thanks mathias for that MS DNS bug note, i'll have a look into that,
and found fixed in server 2003.. that i missed that.. :-/

The setup i suggested it not only for replication/preventing island problems.
It can also be a major dns performance improvement, which i also noticed.
And maybe this was also something in samba what changed i dont know (yet).
This was an update from 4.4.3 to 4.4.5 in my case also.
And i changed my resolving setup at the same time and  since i run it
as is now, i notice much better performance in the complete network, and user noticed it also.

This also forces all registration to go to a single DNS server where it is registered and then replicated to the other servers, which i prefer.

But hee.  As mathias says.. its all our own choice.
I noticed it so i mention it and maybe it helps someone.

Greetz,

Louis