[Samba] samba ADDC dns setup? ( this is same for any MS server )

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 17 10:06:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:57:08 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai eveyone.
>

> I know about the dns "things" in the past. DNS Islanding problems
> etc.
>
> This one is a bit hijacking the subject :
>
> “Horrible BIND9_DLZ DNS breakage after DC replaced and samba-tool
> domain demote --remove-other-dead-server”
>

> I would like to suggest a smale change in how we suggest to setup
> samba ADDC dns things,
>
> and i do think this help in the setup of the AD DC, and reduce change
> on errors.
>

> So this is what i suggest, and i explain why, so yeah.. long email
> again, sorry about that.
>

> The loopback address ip should be configured only as a secondary or
> tertiary DNS server on a domain controller.
>
> but in my opionion should be avoided in all times.
>
> I’ll address 2 things here. Resolving (orders) and ipv4/ipv6
> preferences.
>

> ---------------------
>
> In a single ADDC server setup, resolv.conf suggestions.
>

> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>

> Only now a localhost ip is optional here but i dont suggest it,
>
> when you later add a DC and you move the FSMO roles, this can a
> problem.
>

> Why, simple we forget to change it when needed if we add a dc,
>
> or change FSMO roles to other servers.
>
> At least this happens, you reboot and you have a dns problem.
>

> ---------------------
>
> In a 2 server ADDC server setup
>
> First Server. ( ADDC with fsmo roles and primary dns zones )
>

> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC1_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>
> ( and later (optional) add DC2 ip. )
>

> DONT CHANGE THE ORDER HERE. First DC1 then DC2.
>
> Note : any server should always resolv first to the ADDC dns which
> contains
>
> domain controller locator CNAME record for all the other domain
> controllers in the root.
>

> Second ADDC Server.
>
> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC1_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC2_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>

> ---------------------
>
> In a 3 DC server setup, or more.
>
> First Server. ( primary with fsmo roles )
>
> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC1_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>
> ( optional add DC2 and/or DC3 IP)
>

> Second ADDC Server.
>
> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC1_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC3_AND_NOT_127.0.0.1
>
> (optional nameserver IP_OF_THIS_ADDC_OR_127.0.0.1)
>

> Third ADDC Server.
>
> search ad-dc-subdom.domain.tld ( and maybe others to search.)
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC1
>
> nameserver IP_OF_DC2
>
> (optional nameserver IP_OF_THIS_ADDC_OR_127.0.0.1)
>

> IF you have the room for it, 3 DC setup is the best.
>
> For the clients, point to DC2 and DC3, or depending on load of the
> [...]

Not sure I agree with you Louis, The first of the last links you posted
seems to be discussing a windows dns server and contains a comment that
makes posting the second link a waste of time.

Also if I run on a DC: netstat -tulpn | grep ':53'

I get:

tcp        0      0 192.168.0.5:53          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      28589/named
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      28589/named
udp        0      0 192.168.0.5:53          0.0.0.0:*                           28589/named
udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*                           28589/named

Which plainly shows that it is listening on both 192.168.0.5:53 and
127.0.0.1:53

Which to me means:

On a single Samba AD DC:

search <your dns domain>