[Samba] Windows 10 point and print restriction

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Aug 17 09:41:50 UTC 2016

Hi Sven,

Ok, all the things you need to know to fix it.

If you are deploying a printer using User Group Policy Preferences,
the linked OU should contain users that need to have the printer installed.

If you are deploying a printer using Computer Group Policy Preferences,
the linked OU should instead contain computers that need to have the printer installed.

Linking a User GPP to an OU that only contains computers, or vice versa, will have no effect.

When deploying a printer to an OS that is a different architecture than the print server (such as 32-bit Windows 10 connecting to a 64-bit print server), make sure the correct drivers are installed on the print server. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit drivers must have the exact same name for them to associate properly. Deploying a printer will fail if the appropriate driver for the printer can't be found.

Why, due to KB3170455.

Uncheck/check "Users can only point and print to these servers" and
Uncheck/check "Users can only point and print to machines in their forest"

Define the servers which deploy you printer drivers.

Disable search for printer drivers through windows update.

Problems with setting/keeping the default printer..
And as of Windows 10 1511,  Turn off "Let windows manage my default printer"
With Regkey:
HKEY_Current_User\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\LegacyDefaultPrinterMode
Dword: 0x00000001

And if you connecting to \\server\printer
Change it to  \\server.internal.domain.tld\print-share

And did i report : KB3170455 already ?
This is the problem maker, KB3170455 stops non-admin users from
installing a network-printer ..
all info here about the patch:
http://blog.vectranetworks.com/blog/microsoft-windows-printer-wateringhole-attack

If above does not work/helps to a solution then im out of options.
Keep an eye on the printer driver suppliers, they must modify there drivers also, so its 2 problems in one.
So if you cant fix it with all info above, remove KB3170455 and wait untill the printer driver supplieer and MS releases new bugs ;-)

Greetz,

Louis