[Samba] Possible to use MIT Kerberos yet?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Aug 16 20:49:42 UTC 2016

Hey all,

$Dayjob currently uses MIT Kerberos.  We also use Zimbra with Kerberos
auth, but Zimbra's LDAP is only internal to itself.

I see various things on the wiki that say "We need MIT Kerberos support
cleaned up for a 4.0 release"

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/MIT_Build
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/MIT_KDC

And the "How to build a domain controller" doc, effectively says "it's not
*required* to build an alternate KDC.  It says other LDAP implementations
aren't supported.  It does NOT say other KDC's are not supported.

I see people asking on this list if it's possible, and being told,
outright, no, in 2014:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-July/182765.html

And yet I see it being possible:

https://ssimo.org/blog/id_005.html

So, is this a thing that one can do in mainline Samba yet -- add it on to
an existing, already-provisioned Kerberos realm?

-Dan