[Samba] Numlock

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Aug 12 19:10:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, August 12, 2016 13:25, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:14:36PM -0400, James B. Byrne via samba
> wrote:
>>
>> We have encountered an anomaly that appears to be related
>> somehow to Samba.  When users are moved to the new domain
>> hosted by Samba4.3 then the numlock on their keyboards is
>> always turned off when they log onto the domain regardless
>> of its previous setting.  This in itself is just a nuisance.
>> However we have an application called SnetTerm, an ssh
>> client, which will not recognise the numlock at all when run
>> by a user logged into the new domain.  The numeric keypad is
>> useless as such in this case.
>>
> Wow, that is the strangest thing I've heard in a while.
>
> Does this help ?
>
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/AdminTips/Customization/EnablingtheNumLockKey.html

Yes it does.  Thank you.  I had already uncovered the registry setting
method.  However, having a logon script do it is preferable to using
regedit on every single user account.

On Fri, August 12, 2016 14:18, Sketch wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2016, James B. Byrne via samba wrote:
>
>> Has anyone encountered numlock issues stemming from Samba or
>> Win2008r?
>> I do not know how else to phrase the question. The exact same
>> program used on the exact same workstation does not exhibit
>> this issue when the station belongs to and is logged on to
>> the old domain.
>
> Does the new domain have any GPOs or log-on scripts which could be
> disabling numlock?

This a new Samba install and fresh domain.  To the best of my
recollection the only GPO manually set has to do with passwords.  I
have not added any logon scripts yet.

We have dealt with the logon issue, see above, but still have no clue
what is going on in SnetTerm.  It is obviously an application issue
but I have not yet found anything in its settings that point to
numlock.

Thanks for the help.

Canada  L8E 3C3