[Samba] Is it possible to send a message to samba client from samba vfs module?

Volker Lendecke vl at samba.org
Fri Aug 12 18:00:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 10:49:47AM -0700, Herb Lewis via samba wrote:
> Couldn't you do something like the "net send" command?

Not really in the general case. We don't really know where the client
comes from. The IP address the clean appears under might be behind
NAT. In very special circumstances this might be possible, but in
general it's going to be difficult I guess. Also, I believe modern
Windows does not have the messenger service activated anymore.

If you know *any* way to remotely pop up a message in Windows, the way
to go would be to implement a daemon in Samba like the notifyd. If the
condition you want to start the alert on, send a message to that
daemon and let that daemon do the fork/exec business.

Volker