[Samba] Why is Samba4 not recommended as a file server?

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Aug 10 02:36:50 UTC 2016

Rowland - thanks for your comments in favor of AD/DC as file server.

I apologize for not being more specific in my initial post about stating that I was talking
about Samba4 as AD/DC, not just as a "classic" file server, although it appears that after the
first several comments list responders figured that out.

As I said in my initial post, I am not using the AD/DC as a traditional file server. I am using
it for a Maildir repository and for redirected folders. In the case of the latter, I did have
to configure smb.conf with the following:

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/hprs.local/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

[Users]
    path = /redirectedFolders/Users
    comment = user folders for redirection
    read only = No

per Alexwyn's excellent instruction, "Folder Redirection using Group Policy - Samba 4 AD DC":

http://www.alexwyn.com/computer-tips/folder-redirection-samba4-active-directory-domain-controller

So, even though users don't do a specific "Map network drive" on their WIN7 workstations, this
config may technically be a samba share / file server.

As I said, I've been running this setup for about 2 years with zero problem.

--Mark