[Samba] Man page for idmap_rid

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Aug 10 02:22:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, August 9, 2016 14:00, Rowland Penny wrote:

> That was the old way, if you are using AD, you do not need Unix users
> in /etc/passwd and in fact, you should not have users in
> both /etc/passwd and AD.
> To make an AD user a Unix user, either add RFC2307 attributes to the
> users object in AD and then use the winbind 'ad' backend, or use the
> 'rid' backend, in which case you do not have to add anything to AD.

I have zero experience with this so my question may appear fairly
naive.  What about user home directories and shells on *NIX hosts
other than the AD-DC?  I read somewhere that user UNIX Attributes
other than UID and GID are not implemented in Samba.

My use-case would be sshd session authentication on a remote host
using an AD-DC PAM module.

Canada  L8E 3C3