[Samba] Man page for idmap_rid

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:37:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 11:58:42 -0300
> francis picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > $ smbclient -L //debian2 -U username
> > Enter username's password:
> > session setup failed: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

> I think I might have spotted something here, your user doesn't seem to
> exist on the client and you are relying on wbinfo to tell you it exists.
> Only problem with that, wbinfo checks AD but this doesn't mean the
> local Unix OS knows the user.
>
> What does 'getent passwd username' show when run on 'debian2'?
>
> Until it produces something like this:
>
> rowland at devstation:~$ getent passwd rowland
> rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash
>
> it will not work.
> <https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba>

getent passwd username

(or "theusername") is not the literal command.  I substitute 'username'
here to protect the user id.
genent passwd on the user does work and it returns uid and gui of 1000,
exactly what we see in the /etc/passwd file.  It is the same output as grep
'username' on /etc/passwd

Remember, when winbind is off, it works.  This is certainly bug 10604 by
all measures.