[Samba] Samba 4 ad client not syncing time

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Aug 9 14:08:20 UTC 2016

Hai,

Check a few things.

In ntp.conf
Rule 1 : DONT USE POOL NTP SERVERS !
Rule 2 : Use a stratum 1 ntp server close to you.
Look up here :
http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/StratumOneTimeServers

Now point all your DC's to the selected ntp server(s)

Add/change these lines to ntp.conf
restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery mssntp
restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery mssntp

and check if this is set in ntp.conf
ntpsigndsocket /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd

if you not using ipv6 for example, add these to ntp.conf
interface listen lo
interface listen eth0
interface ignore wildcard
interface ignore ipv6

Make sure in smb.conf is :

        time server = yes

now  restart ntp/samba or the whole server.
Reboot the pc.
Check time again.
If you pc time is off more then 5 min a manualy adjustment often is needed.

'w32tm /config /update /manualpeerlist:IP-of-your-DC-with-ntp-running'
Should not be needed.
Time is synced over the AD.
A good example can be found here.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/