[Samba] Man page for idmap_rid

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 8 19:48:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:31:09 -0300
francis picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm reading the man page for idmap_rid over and over and I can't
> understand it.  I think it needs a rewrite so a normal user can
> understand.  Using a practical example.
>
> Step 1: determine the highest UID in use for your /etc/passwd file
> (can we assume everyone has a passwd file?)
> Step 2: I don't know...
>
> Optionally at this point, document how to plug that into the formula
>
> RID = ID + BASE_RID - LOW_RANGE_ID
>
> and then show how we set the lines:
>
> range = low - high
> base_rid = INTEGER
>
> The man page examples do not line up with any numbers practical
> outside of smb.conf
>
> Say my UID on the Linux side would never exceed 70000.  How do I
> configure range and base_rid?

Well for a start, you can forget 'base_rid', it is deprecated, just
leave it alone and it will default to '0'

In your example, you will want to start the range at '70001', where you
end, is up to you.

The only problem Unix user is nobody/nogroup, which for reasons unknown
to me, have the ID number 65534, it would probably be better if they
had been given a number below 1000.

Rowland